Monday, January 17, 2011

Persimmon Parfait Disaster

I was so excited to make a persimmon parfait ever since I saw it on my friend Kt's blog, Cabin Blendings. The recipe is from Sunny Raw. I have been seeing persimmons at the market, and I know they are on their way out, so I snatched up a huge bag and decided I would make Persimmon Shortcake from Delightfully Raw as well as the Persimmon Parfait.

I wanted to make the Persimmon Shortcake because I had already made the Whipped Cream from Delightfully Raw earlier in the day (working on my prepping). The Whipped cream didn't come out so well. It was really runny. I don't think I was supposed to soak the almonds. When a recipe calls for nuts I always assume they are to be soaked. Is this true?


On to the shortcake, well maybe not. I still suck at reading recipes all the way through, so I didn't realize the layers needed to set up in between. I decided to change gears and make the Persimmon Parfait instead.

I figured the parfait would be easy. Pppfffff, I was WRONG. It said the flesh of 4 persimmons plus a few other items. The persimmons were really soft and ripe but the girl at the farmer's market assured me they were great. I quickly skinned the persimmons, pulled off the tops and tossed them in the Vita. I didn't have mangoes, so I skipped that and tossed in a few raspberries (weird, I know, not sure why I did that). The Vita easy mixed it all up.

I grabbed a couple of decorative stemless wine glasses to make pretty parfaits. I started layering the whipped cream, which has actually set up really well in the refrigerator. When I went to add the persimmon part I realized it had congealed. It had only been 30 seconds. How did that happen?

I finished layering it up, but I was sceptical. My suspicions were confirmed when I took my first bite. It was gross. The persimmons part was so weird and it sucked the moisture right out of my mouth. Such a disappointment especially since I had used all of the whipped cream I made.


My boyfriend agreed that it wasn't great, but he still ate nearly his whole serving, which I realize now was gigantic.

Rate this Dish:

I have to give this recipe a 0. I am certain I messed up the recipe, but I don't know how. Was I supposed to take the centers out of the persimmons? Was it the missing mangoes or maybe the addition of the raspberries? I still plan on making the Persimmon shortcake. I hope it's better.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I wonder what happened?! That persimmon parfait was one of my favorite desserts, ever! I made it twice during persimmon season and both TH and I were in love. I wonder if you bought bad persimmons....? Now that I look back at the actual recipe, I think it was the missing mangos. They added a nice, creamy sweetness.

    About the whipped cream, did you let it set in the fridge for a while? I think I used a little sunflower lecithin and that stiffened it right up.

    ReplyDelete